Mattias Van Camp Technical Artist
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- phone number: 0044 7498 366 739
- linkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mattias-van-camp/1b/347/787
- expertAutodesk 3D studio Max
- advancedAutodesk Maya
- advancedAdobe Photoshop
- intermediatePixologic Zbrush
- beginnerSide Effects Houdini
- intermediateBash (Windows Command Line)
- intermediateQML Script (Substance Painter)
- beginnerHoudini VEX
- November 2019 - Present
- Lead Technical Artist at Wargaming UK in Guildford, working on an unannounced project. My role includes providing direction for the Technical Art Department, and to work together with other Leads and Directors to ensure timely delivery of production pipelines.
- November 2018 - November 2019
- Senior Technical Artist Position at Creative Assembly in Horsham, United Kingdom. My tasks included examining pipeline and production inefficiencies, and to help bring our games' production in line with modern production practices and technology. I created many of the ground-level technologies supporting the tech art code base, and helped build low-level framework modules in Python for everything from Deployment to Version Control.
- January 2016 - November 2018
- Technical Artist Position at Creative Assembly in Horsham, United Kingdom. Most of my tasks during this time involved supporting the Total War franchise, mainly focusing on Total War: Arena. I was responsible for being the sole full-time dedicated Technical Artist for the project, developing tools and providing data analysis to our artists and designers. In this capacity, I explored many ways to improve the efficiency of our work flows, and worked closely with artists to ensure maximum productivity.
- February 2015 - December 2015
- Employment at Giants Software in Zürich, Switzerland, working on the Farming Simulator franchise. My work at Giants included creating start-to-finish assets for Farming Simulator 2016 ( mobile ), preparing various assets for outsourcers to finish, and integrating outsourced assets into the game engine ( Giants Engine ). I also created various stages of asset production for the FS15 Gold Edition map, including various map decorations and a few dozen building models. Lastly I was responsible for developing various scripts and tools that helped with speeding up the production pipeline, using Python and MaxScript as my two main programming languages for that purpose.
- February 2013 - February 2015
- Employment at Die Keure in Bruges, Belgium as a full-pipeline 3D artist, taking the 2D drawings and concepts to 3D, and into the Unity 4 Engine, while writing several scripts in both c# and Maxscript to ease along the pipeline. Work on this project included creating fully custom, stretchable rigs for over 60 characters, and developing a toolkit to be able to do this in a timely fashion.
- July 2012 - September 2012
- 4 month employment at Larian Studios, Ghent, as 3D/technical artist, following my internship. (responsibilities remained the same)
- February 2012 - July 2012
- 4 month internship at Larian Studios, Ghent, as 3D/technical artist (mostly jumping in where needed, focusing more on technical art than on general 3D art)
Games I've worked on
- Total War: Arena
- My work on Total War: Arena, as the dedicated TA to the project, largely involved guiding and working with the various art teams, to help optimize and shape our production pipeline. This included establishing strong asset management guidelines (naming conventions), ways to enforce them, and building tools that rely on them. I covered my work on Arena quite extensively in both my Industry Workshops and GDC talks, the latter of which you can find here: https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1025948/Technical-Artist-Bootcamp-Cementing-Your
- Total War: Warhammer 1 and 2 (including DLC)
- My work on Total War: Warhammer included, for the most part, performance optimization of in-game assets and the development of our in-house LOD generation pipeline toolkit. I also created various tools to allow for more efficient analysis of performance-related data, using both MaxScript and Python as my languages of choice. For Warhammer 2, my role was more general - I helped support the Technical Art team in tool development tasks for art tools, mainly focusing on MaxScript and Python tools.
- Farming Simulator 2016
- My work on Farming Simulator 2016 included optimising various previously created assets for mobile use and creating entirely new assets from start to finish. I also developed various scripts to more easily meet the technical requirements of the game; with it being a mobile game, various technical tricks were used to maintain performance while still delivering impressive graphics on the target platform.
- Divinity: Original Sin and Divinity: Dragon Commander
- I worked on both Original Sin and Dragon Commander during my time at Larian Studios in Ghent, Belgium, ranging from February of 2012 to the end of September of 2012. My assignments included creating art assets for Original Sin (OS), taking different objects to decorate the environment with from concept to finish, in many cases also creating my own designs. I also spent the better part of three months working on gameplay and environment effects, in many cases creating custom materials to achieve particularly challenging effects.
- My work on Kweetet, an online educational platform for kids ages 7 – 13, inludes the entire art pipeline. I was responsible for taking assets from concept to finish, implementing basic interactivity, creating animations and rigs for characters, and modeling and texturing environments. My responsibilities also included creating full custom rigs for our numerous amount of characters, most of which are quadrupedal. Occasionally I also wrote tools to help streamline the pipeline, using the most appropriate language I can find. This usually comes down to either C# or MaxScript.
- Bachelor in Digital Arts and Entertainment at Howest University in Kortrijk, Belgium
- 6 years of secondary education at Heilig Hart Instituut Heverlee in Leuven, Belgium, graduated in modern languages and sciences.